I am a doula in Lexington, KY. I really enjoy attending births. I consider it a great honor to be invited into that intimate space of labor. Each birth is unique and special to me no matter how many births I have attended. I’m the doula who always gets a little glossy eyed when baby emerges and a couple meets their baby for the first time. I find these beautiful moments.
I believe that labor is a natural process, rarely needing intervention. I am also thankful for medical technology and find that there is a time and a place for everything.
Most of my clients want to have a natural birth and I can help women achieve that natural birth. I encourage women and couples to prepare for birth by taking natural childbirth classes. There are so many options in the Lexington area for non-hospital based classes.
my doula services include
- meeting with you to talk about the kind of birth you want
- helping with your written birth plan
- answering pregnancy questions through e-mail or text
- being on call for your labor
- joining you during labor when you need me at home or at the hospital
- offering continuous labor support
- staying with you after the birth as long as necessary
- postpartum visit in your home
As a doula, I support my clients in the decisions they make during labor. With my knowledge of the birth process, I can offer insight into what may be happening in your situation.
I do my best to help my clients have the birth that they want. I would love to attend your homebirth in the role of doula as long as you also have a midwife.
the hospitals where I attend birth
Baptist Health (formerly Central Baptist)
Birth Center at the Women’s Hospital (St. Joe’s East)
The Birthing Spa at Ephraim McDowell Hospital in Stanford, KY
The Birthing Center at Clark Regional Medical Center
my birthing bio
- attending births since 2004
- formerly certified birth doula through DONA International
- clients have hired me again for 2nd, 3rd, and now even 4th and 5th births
- former certified Bradley instructor
- taught over 100 couples from 2001-2005 the Bradley® method
- taught natural childbirth classes 2005-2009
- taught many couples one night refresher classes
- other to 5 children, all born naturally
- attended very short and very long labors
- attended VBACs
- attended scheduled cesareans due to breech or twins
- attended both home and hospital births
why hire a doula?
You can read my article about birth doulas that might help you answer the question of whether or not you need a doula.
Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth:
- tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
- reduces the need for pitocin, forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
- increases successful breastfeeding
~from DONA’s website